Available evidence supports the prediction that the majority of electric car owners will charge their cars at home, more than anywhere else. Therefore, it is crucial that there is a range of affordable home charging options available, if the uptake of electric cars is to increase.
To assist electric car owners offset some of the upfront cost of the purchase and installation of a home EV charger the governments OLEV (Office For Low Emission Vehicles) introduced the Electric Vehicle Home Charge Scheme. The registered owner, lessee or primary user of an eligible electric car can receive up to 75%, up to the cost of £500, off the total cost of an EV charger.
- The scheme provides grant funding of up to 75% (up to the cost of £500) towards the cost of one EV charge point per household/eligible vehicle.
- Driver must provide evidence of ownership, lease, named as the primary driver of an eligible electric car or have one on order to qualify for the full grant.
- The government can terminate the grant at any time.
- The grant can only be claimed by an OLEV approved installer, who are also approved by the EV charge point manufacturer to install their accredited EV chargers.
- The installation date must not be more than 4 months before the start or delivery date of the electric car.
To be eligible for the Electric Vehicle Home Charge scheme you must meet the following criteria:
- Must of taken ownership of a new or second hand eligible electric car on or after the 1st of April 2015.
- The date of the EV charger installation must not be more than 4 months before the date you become the owner of lessee or the electric car.
- Must have off-street parking.
- The EV charger must be installed by an OLEV approved installer.
For full guidance on the electric vehicle home charge scheme please view the governments guidance document here.
Here at Applegarth Engineering we install EV charge points for homeowners, under the electric vehicle home charge scheme, across Wirral, Liverpool, Manchester, Cheshire, Chester and the rest of the UK. Our team of EV charger installers are highly experienced and carry out all installation in line with the IET code of practice. We can install domestic EV chargers at a discounted rate, under the OLEV grant.
If you are interested in an EV charge point for your home, or have any questions, you can call us on 0151 649 8350. Alternatively, you can email us at email@example.com and a member of our team will get back to you as soon as possible.